Smart Tutor’s Number and Operations curriculum is designed to help students understand numbers, ways of representing numbers, relationships among numbers, number systems and operations and algebraic thinking. Interactive, audio-supported lessons help students master key skills including the ability to:
- Understand place value structure of the base-10 number system
- Compare, order and formulate equivalent representations of whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percent through the use of models and number lines
- Develop understanding of fractions as part of a whole, part of a set and as division of whole numbers
- Use interactive media and real-life situations to make reasonable estimates to solve problems
- Gain number sense through an understanding of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division including their different meanings, effects, properties and the relationships to one another
- Develop fluency with basic number combinations for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Develop and use strategies to estimate the result of whole number computations
- Explore number theory by classifying numbers according to their factors and multiples
Number and Operations Sample Lessons
Explore addition and subtraction with Henrietta at the Hippo Hotel.
Practice adding a 2-digit number plus a 1-digit number with Reba Rabbit.
Compose and Decompose numbers with Kirima and the penguins at the ice carnival.
Explore fractions with Michiko at the kite factory.
Help Omar check his receipts by solving addition and subtraction problems with decimals.
Play the balloon game and convert mixed number into improper fractions and improper fractions into mixed numbers.