Smart Tutor’s Phonics curriculum helps students learn systematic and predictable relationships between written letters and spoken sounds. Lessons include animated interactive activities that help students master consonant sounds, short & long vowels, consonant blends, consonant digraphs, vowel digraphs, diphthongs, r-controlled vowels, word families, syllabification, context clues and tricky word strategies. These visually rich, audio-supported lessons are especially appropriate for students with special needs ( ESE / Special Ed ), students learning English as a second language ( ELL / ESL / ESOL ), and struggling learners ( Title I / Transition students ).
- letter/sound identification
- making and breaking words
- identifying beginning, medial and ending sounds and their corresponding letter patterns
- applying phonetic principles in the context of sentences, stories, and other forms of text
- word-sorting activities
- sound cueing
- counting and identifying syllables
- reading strategies using graphophonic (visual), semantic (meaning), and syntactic (structural) cues to identify unknown words
- tricky-word strategy
- self-correction and self-monitoring strategies
Phonics Sample Lessons
Practice reading words ending with the ‘x’ sound with Willie the Worm.
Play a word game with Maggie the Magician and discover Silent E.
Learn about consonant digraphs in outer space with Capt. Armstrong.
Explore Triassic Park with Dr. Kumar and learn about syllables.
Play a prefix game with Skater at the skate park.